Our Company History
In 1935, Paul Haydel, Sr. purchased a small apothecary in Downtown Houma, LA, and named it Haydel’s Drug Store. He sold medications to and filled prescriptions for the residents of Terrebonne Parish. Apart from medicine, Paul carried retail items in his shop. He also installed a soda fountain and employed a soda jerk, transforming the store into a center of social activity. As an added service, Paul hired couriers on bicycles to deliver pharmacy orders to his customers.
In 1964, Paul sold the store to his nephew, Ronnie J. Haydel. In 1971, it received an award from E. R. Squibb & Sons Pharmaceutical Company for filling 1 million prescriptions. Robert P. Rock, a pharmacist, worked for Ronnie for more than a year before purchasing the drug store in 1980. He opened a second location in East Houma in 2004 and the third store on Highway 311 in 2007.
Haydel’s Drug Store, Inc. Today
In December 2014, the original store has since been merged with the Highway 311 location. We believe that having a prescription refilled shouldn’t be complicated or time-consuming.
More Than 87 Years of Service
Most residents of Houma have fond memories of Haydel’s Drug Store. Some of our older customers reminisce about the times they shopped and socialized by our old soda fountain. Quite a few of them even met their future spouses at our store. Haydel’s Drug Store, Inc. is now one of the oldest family-owned and independent drug stores in the area. Robert still owns the company. He manages it with the help of his son, Robert “Bobby” T. Rock, who is a great-grandson of Paul Haydel, Sr.